Skip to main content

How can I enforce my divorce settlement?

Coquille, OR |

My husband and I divorced 2 years ago and both signed the settlement agreement. He was to pay me a sum of money in exchange for his keeping the house. His business failed, so I did not insist on his paying, as he had no money. After not making any effort to pay me,, now he wants me to sign a statement saying he does not owe me anything. I have reason to believe that the reason is that he has recently been the beneficiary of a large life insurance policy from a family member. How can I find out if he now has the money,and how can I enforce the divorce settlement- is there a statute of limitations on divorce settlements in Oregon? Will the court make him pay my lawyer if I must hire one to enforce the divorce settlement? Or are there some papers I can file myself with the court?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. A proceeding to have your husband found in contempt for failing to obey the judgment/order may be an avenue to explore. If you were to proceed in this manner you could conduct discovery to learn of any of your husband's earnings, inheritances, etc. You may be able to recover attorney fees.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics