How can I drop a criminal protective order-domestic violence against my boyfriend that was filed by the d.a.? He is in custody

Asked over 1 year ago - Whittier, CA

The order expires 3 years from now.

1. Timothy Miranda

Pro

2

1

Answered . You cannot drop it, as it can only be vacated by court order. You can motion the court for this, but if the case is still pending, the district attorney will oppose the motion, and the judge will most probably deny your request.

Theoretically you have victim's rights, such as under Marsy's Law, but unfortunately there exists an unofficial presumption that domestic violence victims do not know what is best for them.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

1

Answered . You can make a motion to do such, which are typically denied. However, there are ways to make your motion more successful. One item is to have the DA on board, but you will need more than that. Your boyfriend will need to cooperate. I suggest contacting an attorney to review the facts and develop a strategy. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest meeting with at least one soon while the facts are still fresh in your mind.

3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

1

Answered . It sounds like pleaded guilty. There's not much you can do unless he asks for it to be dropped and you show up in court and agree that is your preference.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

4. Martha Bronson

1

Answered . No. It is the D.A.’s province to litigate criminal matters and you do not call the shots on when and how those matters are handled. If you have found this helpful and/or the best answer, please let the attorney know by checking the appropriate box below. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best of luck to you.