Skip to main content

How can I drop a criminal protective order-domestic violence against my boyfriend that was filed by the d.a.? He is in custody

Whittier, CA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

The order expires 3 years from now.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You cannot drop it, as it can only be vacated by court order. You can motion the court for this, but if the case is still pending, the district attorney will oppose the motion, and the judge will most probably deny your request.

    Theoretically you have victim's rights, such as under Marsy's Law, but unfortunately there exists an unofficial presumption that domestic violence victims do not know what is best for them.

  2. It sounds like pleaded guilty. There's not much you can do unless he asks for it to be dropped and you show up in court and agree that is your preference.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

  3. No. It is the D.A.’s province to litigate criminal matters and you do not call the shots on when and how those matters are handled. If you have found this helpful and/or the best answer, please let the attorney know by checking the appropriate box below. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best of luck to you.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You can make a motion to do such, which are typically denied. However, there are ways to make your motion more successful. One item is to have the DA on board, but you will need more than that. Your boyfriend will need to cooperate. I suggest contacting an attorney to review the facts and develop a strategy. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest meeting with at least one soon while the facts are still fresh in your mind.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics