How can I dispute a medical bill/charge?

Asked over 1 year ago - Alpharetta, GA

My former OBGYN is charging me $100 for canceling a surgery. After getting a 2nd opinion from another doctor, who strongly recommended that I do not go with this particular procedure, I immediately called their office to cancel the surgery, in which they tell me that I would have to pay $100. They said the fee is for taking up a room for the surgery, which wouldn't give another patient enough time to schedule the surgery. They also said I signed and agreed to pay this fee should I cancel, but I was lead to believe the paperwork I signed was to go through the actual procedure. I gave plenty of notice when I canceled. In addition, they have taken my right away as a patient to get a second opinion.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Check the papers

If you signed and agreed to pay this fee then you have no recourse.

2. Norman Antonio Stiteler

Answered . You should immediately write them a letter detailing your position. Ask for a copy of the papers you signed to look it over. Finally, if all else fails, offer to pay a portion of the fee in exchange for a release.