How can i defend myself from the florida baker act? i cannot afford an attorney.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Pensacola, FL

i was taken a mental health facility a year agoin summer 2010 for getting into a fight. i do not know how that is legal. now for god knows how long i am being forced to take two types of meds.

i also do not know how my mother is allowed in the room with me while i go to get my meds re-prescribed. i have to do that every other month.

when the mental health facility i am required to go to have some information to give me, they never tell me but my mother. they tell her all of my business. i am not drug user nor am i schizophrenic or depressed.

1. Cindy Bassett

Answered . Under the Baker Act, you are entitled to be fully informed as to your rights. I have included two information sources for you, below.

Note that one of the provisions of the Baker Act is that you have the right, under Section 394.459, to question the cause and legality of your detention.

The CCHR Florida Hotline: 800-782-2878

Full Text of the Baker Act legislation: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?A...
    &URL=Ch0394/ch0394.htm