Skip to main content

How can I defend myself for a wrongfully issued speeding ticket? (I'm out of state and have 30 years without a ticket.)

Dover, DE |

I received a speeding ticket on SR1 in a rental car, the state patrolman claimed I was going 96 mph. It's impossible, I know I wasn't speeding at all, because I never do. I don't know how to prepare a defense. Can I/should I file a motion for discovery? The trooper said 4 people phoned to report me - again, impossible, in fact I was stopped at a gas station not long before he pulled me over. I'll have to take a bus to Dover from New York to appear in court. I'm unemployed, and not sure I can afford an attorney, or if I can even be represented in traffic court. What would a typical legal fee be for this? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Every state has different laws and procedures for how to contest a traffic infraction or, in some cases, misdemeanor traffic offense. It doesn't hurt to contact a Delaware attorney to have a better understanding of your options. While you might not be able to make the trip from NY, sometimes an attorney can appear on your behalf. Also, while you might not be able to afford legal fees, you might also not be able to afford increased insurance premiums and having this on your driving record. It's important to weigh everything.

This answer is given merely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice, contact an attorney in your state to see if working together makes sense.



Thank you for commenting, Jon. I would indeed like to hear from a Dover attorney if they have any specific advice, or would be interested in this case.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer