How can I contest denial of health insurance. I was rejected because of a pre-exising condition discovered between plans (checku

Pittsburgh, PA |

I had applied for a new health insurance on Aug 29th 2012, as my previous insurance was going to expire on 31st Aug. I had got a blood test done on Aug 24th, that showed a medical condition (hyperthyroidism), and the doctor suggested further testing, a day before I applied for new insurance. I mentioned all these details in the new application. It was rejected, stating that because I have the condition, I cannot be given insurance.
When I applied to another company, they said if I applied within 63 days from the previous insurance expiration date, I can still be considered. Then after I applied, they asked me to get the suggested test done and re-apply.
I am not sure of what the law is regarding pre-existing conditions, and whether the rejection from the insurance company was right.

This is not my case, but I am asking on behalf of a friend

1. This is one of the situations that will be addressed by the Affordable Care Act - but not until 2014. In the meantime there is a great deal of good information available at the US Government website linked below. Even those with pre-existing conditions can qualify for some plans.

This response is intended to provide general information, but not legal advice. The response may be different if there are other or different facts than those included in the original question. See MKnutsonLaw.com for more information on why this communication is not privileged or create an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics