How can I collect payment for the damages done to my car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fredericksburg, VA

One week ago a co-worker hit my car with his in the parking lot of our job. I decided not to involve the police because the damages seemed minor and he admitted fault and agreed to pay for any of the damages. After having an estimate done though, the repair for the damage done is close to $3,000. Neither one of us had insurance at the time. Is there any way I can insure that I get him to pay for the damages done?

Pro

5

Answered . A judgment would be a start. Go to small claims court if you want.

2. Benjamin Weaver Glass III

Pro

3

Answered . Sue him.
    Your question does create 2 great teaching points for others.

1. why don't you have insurance? You could seriously injure someone while you are driving, or be injured yourself. Driving without insurance is irresponsible (though in Virginia it is NOT illegal)

2. While damage to a car after an accident may seem "minor" often it is not. If you did have insurance it would have been a mistake to not immediately report the claim

3. George G. Burke III

4

Answered . consult a local attorney as consultations are typically free. Is he refusing to pay? your lack of insurance may prevent you from recovering. See if h will enter into a payment plan. Good Luck.

4. Stephen Patrick Rapp

Pro

4

Answered . Best bet, consult with a local attorney in your location for a review of your options.

5. Michael R Crosner

1

Answered . Obtain a written agreement for payment; or a payment plan; or small claims court.