How can I collect my inheritance? I have been waiting ten years. My father died in the year 2000.

Bronx, NY |

He left a will. He had property in the Us Virgin Islands and the state of Alabama. There has been an executor appointed for the estate and an co-exeuctor. They provide me with no information and keep putting off the settlement of the estate. I received a letter from their attorney saying that I woudl receive distribution in September 2009 and now they say they do no know when I will be getting distribution.

You will need to hire an attorney in the jurisdiction where the primary administration is taking place and may eventually need an attorney in both jurisdictions. An attorney will be able to demand information about the administration of the estate and back up such demands with appropriate legal action if necessary.

Very truly yours,

Ed Smeltzer

NOTE: This answer was prepared for educational purposes only. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Very truly yours,

Ed Smeltzer

Wills and estates topics