How can I collect for monies paid?

Asked over 1 year ago - Athens, GA

I used to own a vehicle that was registered in my name but I was no longer driving. I had cancelled the insurance on it because it needed mechanical work and mostly because I obtained another vehicle to drive and currently still have. Someone had driven the vehicle and and caused an accident and fled the scene. My son's dad finally admitted to the accident. However, I just recently found out that my license are suspended due to that accident and I was cited and arrested for driving under suspension of license. Now I have to reinstate my license in addition to pay for the ticket received as a result. Can I hold him responsible for those fines?

1. Matthew Chase Swanson

Pro

3

Answered . I'd suggest you speak with a criminal defense attorney first. If you were not the person driving, you may be able to have the charges dropped altogether.

2. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

3

Answered . First, you need to fight the charges. Paying the ticket is a guilty plea, an admission under the law that you were the driver, and will likely result in further suspension of your license. If he will not come to court and admit he was the driver, your attorney can subpoena him. Then, when you win, and only then can you sue him for all of your out of pocket costs. If you pay the ticket, he could just point to this as an admission that it was you, and countersue you for his costs. Get an attorney to get the charges dropped or beat them before you do anything else.

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, but you have to sue him first. Try small claims court. Get a lawyer to fight the ticket for the driving without a license and to negotiate a payment plan with the plaintiff so you can get your license back.