How can i clean my personal record up to today? How does misdemeanors and DWI affect my job hunting?(government jobs)

Passaic, NJ |

I had some misdemeanors, marijuana possessions, open bottle and one DUI. Is there a way to clear all this?.

A DUI is not expungable, it is a traffic offense. You can expunge up to two (2) disorderly persons offenses (misdemeanors) off your record. Contact a lawyer to figure out if you are eligible. It's a 5 year waiting period on a disorderly persons offense to get an expungement.

2. You need to consult with a criminal defense attorney in every jurisdiction you have a criminal record. NJ may have statutes that allow the expungement of criminal convictions for misdemeanors and violations. Meet with an attorney and see if your convictions qualify. Good luck.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. As a general rule, convictions cannot be expunged.
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    512-495-1813
    Expungements

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

4. Dwi cannot be expunged because it is not criminal. Other offenses in NJ can be expunged under certain conditions. Consult with a lawyer with experience in expungements to determine your eligibility, cost, and timeframe.

5. The misdemeanors can be expunged. But that may not work depending on the job. If it is a law enforcement job, they will see your true record.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364

6. NJ does not have misdemeanors, we have Disorderly Persons offense and crimes. It makes a difference since what some States consider misdemeanors are DPs in NJ and others are crimes. There are different waiting times and rules on numbers of various entries that can be expunged. DPs (up to three) can be expunged in NJ 5 years after the sentence ends on the last one. Crimes (only one, and some can't, and the DPs may then be barred) can be expunged after 10 years. DWIs are not criminal in NJ. The good news is they are not on your CCH and do not come up in what is at present a normal background check and the bad news is they therefore cannot be expunged. An abstract look up will disclose the DWI conviction. More employers are doing these types of look ups. So if an employer looks they can find all of these, the government for sure can find them. How that affects your job offers are up to them. You can petition to expunge one crime and up to three DPs when the time comes.

7. You can't clean it up today, but you can put into motion the process for getting your record expunged. Different charges have different amounts of time that you have to wait before you can have you record expunged. This depends on how they were disposed of. For example, your marijuana charge may have resulted in a dismissal under the conditional discharge program, which means it is eligible for expungement 6 months after dismissal, but if not, it would be two years after you were finished with probation, if any. You may have to wait 5 years for other Municipal Court charges. A DWI cannot be expunged in NJ because it is a traffic ticket, not a criminal offense.

8. You cannot expunge the DUI as it is a traffic offense. However, you can and should have the misdeamonors expunged by an attorney after the five year waiting period.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

9. Can't expunge your DWI, and would have to see your criminal case history before I could tell you if you were eligible for an expungement of your other charges. Regarding your job hunt for government jobs, they likely will do a background check. Each job has different criteria for employment so depending on the job your record, both criminal and traffic, may affect your ability to get that job. However, if you get your criminal record expunged you would have a better chance at getting a job I would imagine. Please contact my office to discuss your case in more detail. Thank you.
    Sincerely yours, -Ronald Aronds, Esq.-

DUI topics