How can I claim an unclaimed AND abandoned property (home) in Maryland?

Asked over 5 years ago - Riverdale, MD

I see a home hat has been abandoned for years and has been uninhabited. I would like to move in. What are the steps I need to take to do this?

1. George E Meng

Answered . Just because a property is uninhabited doesn't give you any rights to it. There are many situations in which a property may appear abandoned. 20 years ago I handled an estate and distributed the family home to the heirs who promptly sold it to a bank. That home has been unoccupied and boarded up for over 18 years. But, it is still owned by the successor to the bank.

If you are interested in trying to make a deal to buy the property, go online and find out who owns it and contact them.

DISCLAIMER: I am not your lawyer. No attorney - client relationship is formed here. This answer must not and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Further, the Avvo Terms and Conditions of Use provide:

8. No Attorney-Client Relationship

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted on Avvo Answers, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.