How can I choose a good attorney for a criminal case? Do I ask my friends, facebook, google, avvo, go with my gut, or what...

Paterson, NJ |

It's difficult... Do I choose a "connected" lawyer? A cheap lawyer? An honest lawyer? I need to know who to trust, this is an ordeal for me.

This is a very personal decision that will hinge on a number of different factors that you will weigh in a that is unique to your situation. It is for that very reason that attorneys are the only professionals for whom covenants-not-to-compete are automatically void as a matter of law. Everyone is entitled to hire the lawyer of their own choosing --no exceptions. That said, do not pick the cheapest lawyer. Interview a number of lawyers and hire the one whom who satisfies all of your requirements -- smart, open, communicative, responsive, well-mannered, attentive to you, etc. If your gut normally guides you well, go with it when you want to make your final selection.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

2. Below is a brief video concerning how to select an attorney.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 www.peterlamontesq.com Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

3. You call a few and look for someone who is honest, knowledgable and experienced. You must be comfortable with your lawyer. If the best pitch a lawyer has is connections I would be cautious. Cheap is not a good option. You will get what you pay for. You want to pay a reasonable fee so the attorney can invest the time and effort necessary to defend your case.

4. There are many good criminal defense attorneys to be found on Avvo. You can also ask friends or family to refer someone. Do not choose based on price alone. Pick an attorney who you feel comfortable with and who you believe can help you with your defense.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

5. I would suggest consulting with several attorneys and choosing the one you feel most confident about. Many attorneys offer free consultations and that would be your opportunity to get an idea of how they will handle your case. This is a good chance to feel them out and see if you are getting the type of lawyer you are looking for.

6. Friend and family recommendations are a good place to start but you need to speak with them to make sure you are comfortable and confident in the attorney. It is a big decision so take your time and don't be afraid to speak to many different lawyers. Good luck.

7. In the criminla arena nothing beats experience. Google the attorneys and see if they have extensive criminal law experience. Read reviews. The interview attorneys. You have to like their "bedside" manner as well. Most attorneys are going to cost what a new car would cost. Do you just buy there or do you do your homework.