How can I check if a non profit organisation is valid/real or not as I suspect that someone is trying to collect money without

opening a non profit organisation even though he claims it is NPO. Where should I go to report this to have them investigate this to make sure that he is not collecting money by lying to people pretending that h is accepting money legally.

1. The Secretary of State should have a list of all of the NPO in California. You can also contact the attorney general's office or the local police department if you believe the person is involved with perpetrating a fraud. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. Try this...http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

3. The secretary of state usually keeps a list of corporations and their status. Check the California office for greater details.

4. In addition to contacting the Secretary of State and the Attorney General - you can do a simple check on Guidestar.org.

If that doesn't show anything, I'd check the IRS Business Master File or use their Select Check function before assuming malfeasance.

-- May

For Purpose Law Group, a PLC

The information that has been provided on this website, including information contained in any link or informational reference, does not – and shall not be considered to – constitute legal or professional advice. The reader should not consider such information to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, should neither act nor rely on such information, and should always seek the advice of competent counsel licensed in the reader's state. Attorneys with the For Purpose Law Group are generally licensed to practice law only in the State of California. The ability of the reader to access this website in another jurisdiction does not constitute the practice of law outside of California, or a representation that members of the For Purpose Law Group are licensed to practice in any other jurisdiction. This site is not intended to, nor does it establish an attorney / client relationship between you and this office.

Tax law topics