How can I change the power of attorney for an elder in Florida?

Asked 4 months ago - Columbus, OH

I have had power of attorney for four years for my 91 year old mother who lives in Florida. My half brother from N.C. hired a Florida lawyer and people from her church to draw up a P of A, go to her house, and acquire a signature. She has dementia and severely diminished mental capacity. How can I proceed legally to change this with her cooperation?

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . It appears you would need to start a guardianship proceeding if she does not have the legal capacity to
    understand a legal document.

2. Gary Roger Waitzman

Pro

6

Answered . Mom can not sign any documents given her lack of capacity. I suggest you meet with an avvo attorney to review the current power first to determine if it gives you the powers you need before beginning guardianship proceedings. Mr. Pippen has quite a few Florida offices and hopefully one will be convenient for you.

3. Michael Leo Potter

Pro

5

Answered . Joe is right. 'Legal Capacity' is the issue here. Seems like you'll need to start Conservatorship Proceedings right away. I recommend you contact Joe's firm and get started. Good Luck.