How can I change my police report on domestic violence charges against my boyfriend?

Asked about 2 years ago - Durango, CO

My boyfriend was arrested and charged by the police for domestic violence, false imprisonment and obstruction of communication. How can i change my police report on this? I just want to say on there that it was just an argument, he didn't touch me, which was on the original report anyway but everything else about false imprisonment and obstruction of communication was just a misunderstanding. He didn't want me running out of the house screaming and he had my phone for a minute but gave it back to me. Couples fight all the time, doesn't mean a spouse should be arrested and charged with these ridicilous heavy heavy charges. This is the first time we've had any problems with the police in all the time we've been together, we've always been a quiet couple so he doesn't deserve to go through th

1. Ann Toney

Pro

2

2

Answered . The most effective way to address this is to first, have your boyfriend get a copy of the police report to see what the police report actually says as the officer may have incorporated some of what you want already. You need to know what is being said before you write a letter to the district attorney wanting to add to or change any information you may or may not have furnished to the officer. Then, write a letter to the District Attorney with the information you want the District Attorney to know whether it is in contradiction to the police report or not. Before doing that, I would strongly suggest you consult with a criminal defense attorney in your part of the state to insure you communicate what you intend to. You will probably have to pay the criminal defense lawyer for this consultation as you are needing more than some information over the telephone. Tell the criminal defense lawyer that you want to "buy" an hour of his or her time and then ask what that would cost. All of the above is important to insure you are heard the way you want to be.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . See my prior answer to your question -- nothing has changed in my view.