How can I change my police report on domestic violence charges against my boyfriend?

Durango, CO |

My boyfriend was arrested and charged by the police for domestic violence, false imprisonment and obstruction of communication. How can i change my police report on this? I just want to say on there that it was just an argument, he didn't touch me, which was on the original report anyway but everything else about false imprisonment and obstruction of communication was just a misunderstanding. He didn't want me running out of the house screaming and he had my phone for a minute but gave it back to me. Couples fight all the time, doesn't mean a spouse should be arrested and charged with these ridicilous heavy heavy charges. This is the first time we've had any problems with the police in all the time we've been together, we've always been a quiet couple so he doesn't deserve to go through th

1. See my prior answer to your question -- nothing has changed in my view.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

2. The most effective way to address this is to first, have your boyfriend get a copy of the police report to see what the police report actually says as the officer may have incorporated some of what you want already. You need to know what is being said before you write a letter to the district attorney wanting to add to or change any information you may or may not have furnished to the officer. Then, write a letter to the District Attorney with the information you want the District Attorney to know whether it is in contradiction to the police report or not. Before doing that, I would strongly suggest you consult with a criminal defense attorney in your part of the state to insure you communicate what you intend to. You will probably have to pay the criminal defense lawyer for this consultation as you are needing more than some information over the telephone. Tell the criminal defense lawyer that you want to "buy" an hour of his or her time and then ask what that would cost. All of the above is important to insure you are heard the way you want to be.

By answering this question on AVVO we do not enter into an "attorney-client" relationship. My answer to you is for educational purposes only and is my best recommendation based on the information provided to me.