How can I change my name in Los Angeles County, California?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am an adult male, wishing to change his name in the Los Angeles Country. How can I do this process myself, and how much would it cost. Also, how much would it cost to use a lawyer for said process. Thank you.

Additional information

County not Country. I apologize for the error.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most people are able to petition themselves for a name change without an attorney. For instructions on how to change your name, see:

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Sarkis Sirmabekian

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This requires the filing of required documents with the court, publishing your name change in a court approved publication, and appearing in court. The link to the judicial branch website provided below provides step-by-step instructions. All courts require a filing fee, unless the fee is waived, based on hardship or other justification. The filing fee for LA Superior Court is $435. Publication may run another $100. Contact a local attorney for pricing.

    The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice.... more
  3. Alexander Jesus Limontes

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree most States have instructions on how to change your name online. Just Google it and you should find it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,822 answers this week

3,559 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,822 answers this week

3,559 attorneys answering