How can I change my name in Los Angeles County, California?

I am an adult male, wishing to change his name in the Los Angeles Country. How can I do this process myself, and how much would it cost. Also, how much would it cost to use a lawyer for said process. Thank you.

County not Country. I apologize for the error.

1. This requires the filing of required documents with the court, publishing your name change in a court approved publication, and appearing in court. The link to the judicial branch website provided below provides step-by-step instructions. All courts require a filing fee, unless the fee is waived, based on hardship or other justification. The filing fee for LA Superior Court is $435. Publication may run another $100. Contact a local attorney for pricing.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney. Sarkis Sirmabekian 818-473-5003.

2. Most people are able to petition themselves for a name change without an attorney. For instructions on how to change your name, see:

http://courts.ca.gov/1051.htm

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

3. I agree most States have instructions on how to change your name online. Just Google it and you should find it.