How can I change my 4 yr olds last name?

Asked 6 months ago - Weirton, WV

When my son was born his father and I were not married. We decided he would have my last name incase things didnt work out. We are now married and my son is 4. I was wondering what we need to do to change his last name to his biological fathers last name. Also we live in a different state now (my son was born in IL and we now live in WV), will that matter?

1. Seth S. Gaskins

2

Answered . You must petition the Circuit Court of your county for a name change. WV law requires notice by publication. Contact Legal Aid in your area. I know that they have a do it yourself packet. Goodluck.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

Answered . You file a Petition for a Name Change. Have the natural father sign a consent to the name change. Go to court and ask for the name change. Then, publicize the name change in the local paper as required by WV law.