How can I change my 4 yr olds last name?

Asked 12 months ago - Weirton, WV

When my son was born his father and I were not married. We decided he would have my last name incase things didnt work out. We are now married and my son is 4. I was wondering what we need to do to change his last name to his biological fathers last name. Also we live in a different state now (my son was born in IL and we now live in WV), will that matter?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Seth S. Gaskins


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must petition the Circuit Court of your county for a name change. WV law requires notice by publication. Contact Legal Aid in your area. I know that they have a do it yourself packet. Goodluck.

    My answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or establish any attorney-... more
  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You file a Petition for a Name Change. Have the natural father sign a consent to the name change. Go to court and ask for the name change. Then, publicize the name change in the local paper as required by WV law.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,076 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,076 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering