How can I cash my federal income tax return without my husband?

Asked over 4 years ago - Charlotte, NC

My husband is incarcerated and will not return home until the year 2017. I am trying to find out what I need to do. My bank would not let me deposit nor cash it because the amount was high. They also told me it was against there policy to cash the check without us having a joint account, or myb husband haves to have an account. I have no state I.d. for him just our marriage certificate, prison ID, and social security number.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gregory Herman-Giddens

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If possible, you can have your husband sign a power of attorney that gives you the power to either open a joint bank account or cash a tax refund check, or both. It should be prepared by an attorney. Powers of attorney have to be notarized.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,460 answers this week

2,750 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,460 answers this week

2,750 attorneys answering