How can I calculate my overtime.

San Diego, CA |

can any one tell me how can i calculate my overtime on hollidays if i work on holidays.

First you need to your regular rate of pay (RROP) before you can calculate your overtime ("OT"). RROP is computed by taking all the compensation that you made during that week and dividing it by the total number of hours worked. The first thing is thing you need to determine is that the total compensation for the week is. The rule is that all payments of any kind, either cash or non-cash, must be included in the regular rate of pay. Generally, everything of value that the employer gives you must be included in calculating your RROP.

The next step will be determining your overtime which is 1.5 times your RROP for hours exceeding 8 hrs in one day and twice times your RROP for hours exceeding 12 hrs in one work day.

Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.

Overtime premiums kick in when you in excess of 8 hours in a workday or 40 hours in a workweek. It does not automatically apply if you work on a holiday unless the holiday puts you over 8 or 40,or unless that is company policy.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

An employee's right to overtime pay has nothing to do with whether the employee works on a holiday or not, unless the employer has a policy that requires it to pay overtime (or some kind of premium) for holiday work or there is a collective bargaining agreement (contract) between your employer and a union that requires overtime (or premium) pay for holiday work. Otherwise, you pay on a holiday is the same as it is on any other day.

An employee is entitled to overtime at 1.5 times the employee's regular pay rate for all time worked above 8 hours in one day or 40 hours in one week, and 2 times the regular rate for all time worked above 12 hours in one day.

Overtime is calculated by dividing the number of work days into the total compensation the employee receives for the week (to include any overtime), then multiplying that number by the appropriate overtime premium. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Recommended articles about Employment