How can i bring my wife to USA?

Dana Point, CA |

Hi, dear,
I am green card holder for 4 years and I went to my country for months ago and I got married. I want to know that can I apply for her with my green card and active her status in order to get it faster?
Or just wait for next year to get my citizenship and then apply for her?
Thanks a lot,

Wait until you become a US citizen. It will be a lot faster.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mr. Shusterman is correct, file for naturalization 4 years and 9 months after you became a resident.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

You wouldn't gain anything by waiting to become a US Citizen. Whether you are a Legal Permanent Resident or a US Citizen, you will submit form I-130 to petition for your spouse. If you apply now, since you're an LPR, the application will be placed in category 2A, If, during the process, you become a US Citizen, you can write to the government to move your wife from category 2A to immediate relative.

The advantage to applying now is that if there are any delays in you becoming a US Citizen, your wife's application will keep moving forward. Also, application fees are getting more and more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Armen Taslakian. 818. 937.3590. www.TaslakianLaw.com. Note: Armen Taslakian is an attorney licensed in the State of California. The answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.

Marriage and prenups topics