How can i bring my wife to USA?

Asked about 2 years ago - Dana Point, CA

Hi, dear,
I am green card holder for 4 years and I went to my country for months ago and I got married. I want to know that can I apply for her with my green card and active her status in order to get it faster?
Or just wait for next year to get my citizenship and then apply for her?
Thanks a lot,

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Wait until you become a US citizen. It will be a lot faster.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Armen Taslakian

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You wouldn't gain anything by waiting to become a US Citizen. Whether you are a Legal Permanent Resident or a US Citizen, you will submit form I-130 to petition for your spouse. If you apply now, since you're an LPR, the application will be placed in category 2A, If, during the process, you become a US Citizen, you can write to the government to move your wife from category 2A to immediate relative.

    The advantage to applying now is that if there are any delays in you becoming a US Citizen, your wife's application will keep moving forward. Also, application fees are getting more and more expensive.

    Hope this helps.

    Armen Taslakian. 818. 937.3590. Note: Armen Taslakian is an attorney licensed in the... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Mr. Shusterman is correct, file for naturalization 4 years and 9 months after you became a resident.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,447 answers this week

2,553 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,447 answers this week

2,553 attorneys answering