How can I bring my sister and her daughter to United States?

I need my sister here in the united states so she can take care of my sick mother. Me and my mother are both USC through naturalization. I need my sister to obtain lawful status while she is here. Shes is over 21 and married. I know we can sponsor her, but that would take ten years. Is there any way we can have her come here first and then sponsor her? She had a pending asylum before but because of an emergency she had to return back home to pakistan. This was almost 10 years ago.

Jamaica, NY -

Attorney Answers (3)

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

More information is needed. She may have what is called an 'in abstentia" deportation order due to her decision to leave before her Immigration Court hearing. This may require exceptional work that cannot be done within the time frame that you want her here.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you take any furrther action. She may be discqualified from immigrating to the U.S.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
Jeffrey N Lisnow

Jeffrey N Lisnow

Immigration Attorney - Staten Island, NY

I also agree. More information is needed. You should consult with an attorney to go over your options so as not to waste time needlessly.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case... more
Veronica Tunitsky

Veronica Tunitsky

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

I agree with Atty Dixler. You need to learn about the disposition of her old asylum claim first. She can obtain a copy of her immigration records by filing a FOIA request with the executive office of immigration review.

As far as her coming here. That would be a lengthy process. If she attempts to come on a visitor visa, she could be charged with immigrant intent. If she's admitted, she'd have to maintain lawful nonimmigrant status until rr priority date is current and she's eligible to adjust. This is very difficult to do for a period of ten years.

You need to sit down with a lawyer to explore her options.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.