Skip to main content

How can i bring my girlfriend from Ecuador to the U.S., without getting married?

New York, NY |

We met in person in Ecuador, we have been together for 1 Year & 3 months. I am 21, she is 20 years old. I am a U.S. Citizen. Born and raised in New York City. I have been traveling to Ecuador often just to be with her, but i want to bring her over here, to show her the city around. We don't want to be so distant from each other, and i don't want to get married yet. Is it possible to bring over here without getting married and if so, how long would she be able to stay in the U.S.?

Attorney Answers 3


Can bring on a K-1 fiancée visa, can remain for up to 3 months . If you don't marry her while here, she'll have to go back.

Unlike what you might hear from other lawyers here, I do not think she's got any hope of being issued a visitor's visa. K-1 your best (and only) bet.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment



Yes, i have been told that there in no hope in betting for the visitor's visa, because she might get denied. I also wanted to know, how much would you estimate it will cost in total for this whole process & how long would it take if its approve? if you can't answer that questions, it is totally fine, i understand.


Unless she is able to get a tourist visa, your next best option is a K-1 visa. You can apply for a K-1 fiancee visa for your girlfriend, but you will need to show that you are serious about the relationship and getting married. There is no penalty if you decide not to get married. However, f you do not get married within 90 days of her arrival, she will have to return to Ecuador and she may have a more difficult time coming back in the future. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Use a K-1 fiancee visa.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

12 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics