How can I bring my fiance to United States? And how long the process will take?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

Where and when do i need to start to file for my fiance to come to US? I am US citizen and she is not. She is Ukrainian citizen. We are planning are wedding in Ukraine, this summer 2012. I searched on-line and did find a few answers but do need an attorneys advice. Should we apply for I-130, K1 or K3? When should we apply for visa? Where should we apply? And please tell me what is the difference between those visas. Thanx in advance.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

For more information, please see

2. Ilona Dzhamgarova

1

Answered . If you want marry her then you have to file I 130 petition. For fiance visa you have to file form I 129F . Fiance visa basically means that she will come to US as your fiance and within 90 days you have to married her ( k 1). Better get a help of immigration attorney who will advised you and help you with the case, its seems easy when you read the instructions but its a lot of details which requires a knowledge of experienced immigration lawyer.

3. Khaja M. Din

Pro

1

Answered . For a fiance visa, you and your fiance have to have met face-to-face at least once in the last two years. If you have met her in the last two years, I would file a fiance visa from the US. It is a complicated and multistage process and get complicated very quickly. There are other issues/land-mines that can derail the process such as mail order brides or marriage brokers that the USCIS will look for when marrying in Eastern Europe that you need to be aware of. Seek out an immigration attorney before you move forward.

And Congratulations!!!

Khaja M. Din, Esq.

www.dinmemmen.com

Din Memmen Law Firm
    (312) 361-8462

4518 N. Kedzie Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625

Free Consultation For Your Immigration Law Questions

4. C. C. Abbott

Answered . Attorney Dzhamgarova is correct in her comment. If you marry overseas you will have to file the I-130 and then file the K3 visa. It may be better to get a K1 have her come to US and get married through a civil ceremony. Then she can file all her documents including the advanced parole so both of you can go back to the Ukraine next summer for the family "wedding" ceremony.