How can I begin a criminal case against my coworker for using private texts to get me punished at work?

Boca Raton, FL |
Filed under: Privacy law

Someone I work with took texts that I sent to her boyfriend and brought them to our supervisor (who she is good friends with). I was disciplined however the recipient was not. I did not give her permission to use my texts and the phone belonged to the recipient who did not bring the texts forward. I know it's illegal to use people's texts without permission so what is my recourse... Civilly and criminally...

You could talk to a tort lawyer about the possibility of filing for intentional interference with a business relationship, if the elements for that tort exist. I am not aware of a criminal statute that prohibits using people's texts without their permission. If there is such a statute, you would have to file a complaint/report with the police and if they found sufficient evidence to submit it to the state attorney, then the state attorney would decide whether or not to prosecute.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Civil rights topics