How can I be sure that my probation officer receives my mail-in reporting form?

Marietta, GA |

I am on probation for a nonviolent misdemeanor. Upon my most recent appointment, my probation officer placed me on mail-in reporting since I have completed all terms of my probation requirements. However, the officer I have to deal with is a sour, cold individual and has been difficult to deal with for the last year. The officer has also already misplaced paperwork that I've given them and I want to assure that when I mail this form in that it actually gets to where it needs to go. Is sending it to the probation office via certified mail sufficient to cover myself? What can I do when I mail the form to ensure that there is no way they can say that I didn't mail it in each month?

Send a cover letter with your reporting form and detail on the letter why you are sending, documents, money order or so.... Also send it certified with a return receipt and include the certified mail number on the cover letter

P Darrell Kimbrell

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

I agree with Mr. Kimbrell. It is a shame to have to resort to certified mail each time because of the fear you expressed. Additional expense, effort, record keeping, not to mention the time traveling to and from busy post offices. (Sounds like part of a law practice!) You might even try a 'thank you' card to the officer, thanking him or her for placing you on mail in. I can assure you it will be one of a very few 'thank you' cards a probation officer has ever received. This may help the sour officer as a human being. It sounds like he or she needs it. And in turn you will be remembered. While certified mail certainly proves the reporting requirement, if you keep an organized copy of monthly reports from now until the end of the probation, I think the officer or department (if the officer leaves the dept.) would find it problematic to proceed against you on that basis in the future. Is this a private probation service? You are sending in a monthly fee or not? Whenever possible, these are some of the many reasons to make every effort to avoid probation altogether in a case. We all have enough to worry about, don't we!

No attorney-client relationship implied or accepted without a signed fee agreement. This response is theoretical only and for purposes of discussion. Attorney is not liable for any opinion expressed herein.

Follow Mr. Kimbrell's advice.

Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Unless you have executed a written fee contract with Troy Marsh, P.C. dba The Marsh Law Firm, Troy W. Marsh, Jr. owes you no duty, and you are not a client of Troy W. Marsh, Jr.

Send the docs Certified, Return Receipt Requested and if you have a Fax you can also fax them and retain the confirmation.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

Your idea to send your forms Certified is correct. Make sure that you keep the receipt AND keep a Copy of the forms that you sent to the Probation Officer. Remember, you have to cover your own behind because, as you have already experienced, paperwork etc. can easily be misplaced -- and the burden to prove you sent in the forms will be on you! I hope this information has been helpful. Good Luck!!! George McCranie www.McCranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.