How can I be sure that my probation officer receives my mail-in reporting form?

Asked over 1 year ago - Marietta, GA

I am on probation for a nonviolent misdemeanor. Upon my most recent appointment, my probation officer placed me on mail-in reporting since I have completed all terms of my probation requirements. However, the officer I have to deal with is a sour, cold individual and has been difficult to deal with for the last year. The officer has also already misplaced paperwork that I've given them and I want to assure that when I mail this form in that it actually gets to where it needs to go. Is sending it to the probation office via certified mail sufficient to cover myself? What can I do when I mail the form to ensure that there is no way they can say that I didn't mail it in each month?

1. Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

6

1

Answered . Send a cover letter with your reporting form and detail on the letter why you are sending, documents, money order or so.... Also send it certified with a return receipt and include the certified mail number on the cover letter

P Darrell Kimbrell

2. Horace Kimbrell Sawyer III

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Kimbrell. It is a shame to have to resort to certified mail each time because of the fear you expressed. Additional expense, effort, record keeping, not to mention the time traveling to and from busy post offices. (Sounds like part of a law practice!) You might even try a 'thank you' card to the officer, thanking him or her for placing you on mail in. I can assure you it will be one of a very few 'thank you' cards a probation officer has ever received. This may help the sour officer as a human being. It sounds like he or she needs it. And in turn you will be remembered. While certified mail certainly proves the reporting requirement, if you keep an organized copy of monthly reports from now until the end of the probation, I think the officer or department (if the officer leaves the dept.) would find it problematic to proceed against you on that basis in the future. Is this a private probation service? You are sending in a monthly fee or not? Whenever possible, these are some of the many reasons to make every effort to avoid probation altogether in a case. We all have enough to worry about, don't we!

3. Troy Windel Marsh Jr.

2

Answered . Follow Mr. Kimbrell's advice.

4. Jack Ira Klein

Pro

2

Answered . Send the docs Certified, Return Receipt Requested and if you have a Fax you can also fax them and retain the confirmation.

5. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

1

Answered . Your idea to send your forms Certified is correct. Make sure that you keep the receipt AND keep a Copy of the forms that you sent to the Probation Officer. Remember, you have to cover your own behind because, as you have already experienced, paperwork etc. can easily be misplaced -- and the burden to prove you sent in the forms will be on you! I hope this information has been helpful. Good Luck!!! George McCranie www.McCranielawfirm.com