Skip to main content

How can I apply for Social security number for my child?

Fresno, CA |

Recently, I applied for I-485 to get green card for my child 10 months of age, and I finished the ASC appointment , in the interview they just took picture for the child and they told me to wait the greed card to send by mail. Then I received I-797 notice by mail said that the case transferred to processing in Nebraska service center and they will notify me of the decision of the application .My questions are: 1) Is this mean that the child still not eligible to received the green card ?
2) Can I apply for S.S.N. card for my child during waiting time to receive the green card? because I already sent i-765 form with i-485 . The S.S.N office have , some one told me to wait until received the green card and other said bring A - # ...etc. please advice me how can I get the SSN card ASAP.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. A transfer of the case is typically to speed up the processing of your case and has nothing to do with the child's eligibility for a social security number. With an EAD your child should be able to get a social security number, but it would be restricted and say not valid without employment authorization. Most likely they are telling you to wait because when the child gets the green card they can issue a social security number without restriction.

  2. Applications are often transferred between offices. This is not a problem. You can apply for a SS card for your child. The A# will be on the EAD work permit.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Transfers are routine. You may apply for SS# for your child as you will probably need it for tax filing considering there may be a slight delay due to the transfer.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics