How can I apply for legal guardianship of my 13 yr old nephew?

Asked about 2 years ago - Brooksville, FL

My nephew has been living with me for 2 months and off and on all his life. My sisters boyfriend is abusive and doesnt want my nephew living with them. His father pays her child support which she spends on herself I have gotten no help for anything. I enrolled him in school with a paper saying she gave me temporary guardianship which was from 2 years ago. It wasnt notorized. My nephew doesnt want to live with his dad because my nephew is gay and his father thinks its not acceptable. I jusut want him to have a stable environment and go to one school for a whole year. With my sister last year he missed 32 days a semester.

1. John Arthur Smitten

1

Answered . Yes you can apply for custody under Florida Statute Chapter 751

2. Marian Audrey Lindquist

1

Answered . You can receive temporary custody or temporary guardianship through a court order. Your changes of receiving this without your nephew's parents' cooperation are slim to none. If you want to keep your nephew because it's in his best interest and his parents are allowing that to happen, you can continue that indefinitely. If you want his child support, you can ask your sister for it. If she doesn't give it to you she needs it more than you do.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . The longer you can keep him(as is)-the greater your chances with the court later.