How can I apply for an extension on my court fines due for a DUI in LA County?

Have been sending in payments every month but I still owe several hundred dollars and the due date is in a month. How do I apply for an extension?

Your attorney can appear and help renegotiate your payment plan. If you don't have an attorney, you should get yourself added to the court calendar to ask the judge for more time. The process for the judge to decide whether or not to extend the payments, include payment history, employment, income and other factors. A local attorney may be able to shed some light on the local practices. A lawyer can help you with this problem.

Usually your attorney does this for you, and asks the judge. If you can show progress, most judges grant it. Judges will not grant it, however, if you have repeatedly delayed and are not showing any progress.

DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice. Transmission or receipt of any information from this, or any, website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. The application of law is dependent on the facts of each case, and no two cases are ever similar. It is important that users of this site realize that it is risky to assume that their case is identical to someone else's, without consulting with an attorney.

I do not have a lawyer. How do I reach the judge? I have paid regular payment installments and completed all other requirements ahead of schedule.

Anthony Allen Roach

Anthony Allen Roach

You can try to call the court clerks, but you will most likely have to appear on or before the date of fine completion and ask for an extension.

Just simply ask the judge but before asking him, make sure you have all the receipts of your payments (although they have record of payment too) to be on the safe side, have all the receipts of your payments and ask the judge for an extension. The judge will most likely grant it if you have been consistently paying the fees.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

I would just add: Make sure you ask the judge BEFORE the due date.

Sharon Paris Babakhan

Sharon Paris Babakhan

Yeeeeeeeees, you are right. Great point. It is very important to go there before your next court date. You are right Anthony.

But how do I get in to see the judge? Every time I call the court I can't get through to a real person...

Sharon Paris Babakhan

Sharon Paris Babakhan

You must go there one day early morning, go to the court's clerk, tell the clerk you want to advance your case and see the judge and ask for an extension. Phone calls don't do it. Go to your court.

I agree with Ms. Babakhan . Get your matter put on calendar ASAP !

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Go to court and ask for an extension

DUI court topics