How can I apply for an extension on my court fines due for a DUI in LA County?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Have been sending in payments every month but I still owe several hundred dollars and the due date is in a month. How do I apply for an extension?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your attorney can appear and help renegotiate your payment plan. If you don't have an attorney, you should get yourself added to the court calendar to ask the judge for more time. The process for the judge to decide whether or not to extend the payments, include payment history, employment, income and other factors. A local attorney may be able to shed some light on the local practices. A lawyer can help you with this problem.

  2. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Just simply ask the judge but before asking him, make sure you have all the receipts of your payments (although they have record of payment too) to be on the safe side, have all the receipts of your payments and ask the judge for an extension. The judge will most likely grant it if you have been consistently paying the fees.

  3. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Usually your attorney does this for you, and asks the judge. If you can show progress, most judges grant it. Judges will not grant it, however, if you have repeatedly delayed and are not showing any progress.

    DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way... more
  4. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to court and ask for an extension

  5. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Babakhan . Get your matter put on calendar ASAP !

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Fines for criminal conviction

Courts impose fines as a punishment that also provides restitution to victims and/or the government. Fines may be imposed alone or in addition to prison time.

Vache E Bahadurian

Suspended License Ticket

A common case in the Municipal Courts of New Jersey is a driver being accused of Driving a Motor Vehicle while their Driver's License is Suspended or Revoked. Thousands of individuals are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,901 answers this week

3,847 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,901 answers this week

3,847 attorneys answering