Skip to main content

How can i adopt a child who is an illegal immigrant but resides in the united states?

Phoenix, AZ |
Filed under: Immigrant visas

both my husband and i are U.S Citizens but we want to adopt a child who resides in the United States but is an illegal immigrant. How can we do that?

Attorney Answers 2


You will need assistance from an attorney that concentrates on adoption matters. Assuming that the adoption is possible, you should understand some of the obstacles to obtaining legal status for an adopted child. For adopted children to be considered as children of the adopted parents, the adoption must occur before the child turns 16 years of age and the adoptive parents must have legal and physical custody of the child for at least 2 years, which may include time before the adoption is final. An experienced and reputable immigration attorney can advise you on the child's immigration status and options to apply for his or her legal status. Depending on how s/he arrived in the U.S., s/he may ultimately need to apply for an immigrant visa abroad. But there may be exceptions that apply.

Scott D. Pollock
Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 444-1940

Mark as helpful

3 found this helpful


Yes there are few conditions for adoptions that you will want to comply with. The best is to look for an adoption agency to help. They can prepare good cases and even have their own lawyers to help.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally
Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
Law Firm Deals in Immigration law, Bankruptcy & Debt Relief
37600 Central Ct, Ste 201,
Newark CA 94560

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain
to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics