Skip to main content

How Can I Adjust My Status?

Jamaica, NY |

My dad got his green card Oct 16 2012 , I'm turning 18 in November,i will be past 21 when he becomes a citizen , what are my options to get my green card?

Attorney Answers 3


More information, much more information is needed.

Did your dad marry a US Citizen? If so, then your step-mother can sponsor you right now.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment



He got his green card through sponsorship by his daughter.I recently applied for daca it is still pending.


I agree with my colleague. The ability of any alien to adjust status requires a review of the total immigration history, family relationship, etc to be able to give a legal opinion if an immigration benefit is available.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Depends on how your dad got his green card.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics