How can I adjust my immigration status from an expired TPS?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I came to US when I was 10 years old. I was given a Sierra Leone TPS a long time ago, it is expired & cannot be renewed. However, I do not have any family back in my country. I am college graduate and working on my masters with no criminal record. Also, I do not remember receiving I-94. Please advise on how I can adjust my status either as asylum, withholding of removal or Deferred Action TPS. Thanks!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . Before you can think about adjusting your status through asylum, you must apply for asylum, and be exempt from the one-year filing requirement.

2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

8

Answered . Your question discusses the fact that you entered at the age of 10 and that you are a graduate of college and presumably high school. Thus, it appears you may be eligible to apply for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivlas known as "DACA " ; whether you should apply or not will depend on various factors, which you can read about at the USCIS.gov website; there are very helpful Frequently Asked Questions you can find on the website. Note also that DACA does not allow you to adjust your status, but does provide you a way to apply for work authorization ; it also has other benefits which you should discuss with a competent attorney. Consult with an attorney and think about DACA -whether you have other relief like asylum and related relief can also be discussed.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.
  3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

8

Answered . There is obviously a long history to your case and since you have been here since you were 10 you may be eligible for DACA benefits. However, more facts are needed to advise you as to any available options as well a a recommended course of action.

Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you how best to proceed to reach your goal.

4. Harry Asatrian

6

Answered . Based the information you have a long immigration history that needs to be discussed in detail. The best way of doing this is setting up an appointment and reviewing the facts. This will provide the attorney with the necessary facts to give you the possible options to obtaining legal status in the US or weather this is not possible at this time.

5. Kathy A. Polias

6

Answered . You may be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) if you were also under the age of 31 as of June 5, 2012 and have continuously resided in the United States from June 15, 2007 to present. DACA does not confer any legal status on you but protects you from removal and gives you authorization to work in the United States, which I am sure would be helpful to you. As for options that will confer a legal status (i.e. asylum, etc.), please consult with an attorney on the phone or in person. The application for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals requires various document submissions so I would advise you to consult with an attorney further on that application as well.

6. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . Start with a confidential immigration consultation in person.