How can I add my wife's name to the deed on my house?

Asked over 3 years ago - Hanover, MD

I recently purchased a home in Md...because I had applied for the loan as an individual (my wife and I were living in different states at the time), only my name was on the paperwork when we showed up at closing. My wife signed all the closing papers anyway, but my name is the only one on the deed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Karen M Authement Esq

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You have to deed the property to yourself and your wife and record the new deed with land records. I have handled real estate matters and can assist you with this. Please don't hesitate to contact me.

    REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find the information provided helpful.

    Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am a licensed attorney in Maryland and the District of Columbia. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your local area. This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Thomas C Valkenet


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You do need to chat with a lawyer. The others are correct that a deed can be executed to add your wife, but the new "tenancy by the entierties" will be subject to any and all liens and charges that attached to your ownership from the time you took title in your name, only.

    You don't know what those interests are, beyond the loan you took, unless an attorney searches the land records, municipal lien records, tax lien records and judgment records.

    I wouldn't pay for a "quit claim" deed, which is largely a useless gesture.

  3. Kerry G. Patton

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . A simple quitclaim deed can work, but I recommend you consult an attorney in your area to ensure the document is correctly drafted, executed, and recorded.

    (THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,478 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,478 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering