Skip to main content

How can I add my last name to my daughter's name?

Chicago, IL |

Do I need her biological fathers consent to add my last name to hers? He father hasn't seen her in almost a year and won't agree to it. I don't want her to lose his last name just add mine because that how my youngest daughter name is. She keeps asking me why her sister is so lucky. He hasn't paid child support in over 2 years and I'm not pursing it anymore. I don't have an address for him and yes he is on the birth certificate. I live in cook county.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is a remedy here

Hire a lawyer and get to it.

This dilemma has a solution

Alan Brinkmeier


You should pursue child support. It is not for you, It is for your daughter.

If you wish to do a name change, that is a court proceeding. You need not have consent, but merely notice to the father. He will have an opportunity to come and object if he chooses. Notice can be accomplished by publication if you do not know where the father is. You ought to seek the services of an attorney who might be able to find the father and start up child support again along with helping you get your daughter's name changed.

There are many good lawyers oin your area. Speak to several and hire the one you like the best.


File a petition to change her name. It is not too hard but you might want to hirean attorney. He must be given notice and if he objects the court will hear the reasons on both sides and decide.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer