How can I add my last name to my daughter's name?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Do I need her biological fathers consent to add my last name to hers? He father hasn't seen her in almost a year and won't agree to it. I don't want her to lose his last name just add mine because that how my youngest daughter name is. She keeps asking me why her sister is so lucky. He hasn't paid child support in over 2 years and I'm not pursing it anymore. I don't have an address for him and yes he is on the birth certificate. I live in cook county.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

4

Answered . There is a remedy here

Hire a lawyer and get to it.

This dilemma has a solution

Alan Brinkmeier
    www. brinkmeierlaw.com

2. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . You should pursue child support. It is not for you, It is for your daughter.

If you wish to do a name change, that is a court proceeding. You need not have consent, but merely notice to the father. He will have an opportunity to come and object if he chooses. Notice can be accomplished by publication if you do not know where the father is. You ought to seek the services of an attorney who might be able to find the father and start up child support again along with helping you get your daughter's name changed.

There are many good lawyers oin your area. Speak to several and hire the one you like the best.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . File a petition to change her name. It is not too hard but you might want to hirean attorney. He must be given notice and if he objects the court will hear the reasons on both sides and decide.