Skip to main content

How can I add Junior to my son's name?

San Diego, CA |

Mother and I were not married when our son was born. Mother named our son after myself but she forgot to add the JR. She states that she assumed it was added. We got married and after a short marriage we got divorced. Some of my mail have reached her address (somehow) and she has oppened it thinking that it was for our son. It was military paper work so she should know that it was for me, that's my believe. Our son is 5 now and I would like for our son to have Junior added to his name. Mom is against it and wants his last name changed to her boyfriends last name. Would it be beneficial for our son and myself to have that added to his name? If we can add junior to his name could I add senior to mine? I believe this would also help him with his own identity of who he is. Thank You

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It does take a court order to change a child's name. You can file a Motion in the divorce case, requesting the name change. Once the order is granted, you then have to have the birth certificate amended.
As an adult, you can change your name without a court order, but my experience has been, that many institutions such as banks, credit cards, social security, do not recognize the name change, without a court order. If you as an adult want to change your name, you can go to your local courthouse and file a Petition for Name Change.



My divorce has already been done since about 2 years ago. I filed for a modification of visitation. I would just like to file for adding junior to his name. What would be some reasons to add it if mine isn't one?

Nadine Marie Jett

Nadine Marie Jett


Your reasons would be the same as you outlined above, to avoid confusion with your name. You can file for the name change through the dissolution case. Good luck.


Here is a link to the San Diego Court website that may help answer your question:

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer