Skip to main content

How can I add a middle name to my name?

Stafford, VA |

I'm an adult woman and was not given a middle name at birth and would like to add one now. How could I go about it and can I do it on my own without hiring an attorney?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You need to file a name change petition in the circuit court in your city or county. If the court approves your petition, the name change is a simple matter. Of course you will then want to update all your other records, and apply for a new social security card as well.