Skip to main content

How can an estate holder hold a distribution of funds to the heirs fo2 years after everythin g is settled on the estate

Raleigh, NC |

judge appointed an attorney who is also county administrator and although there are no bills she states she put her check book in drawer if we call her. Estate has no other bills all paid and sold

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Sounds like the beneficiaries need to get an attorney, get together, and petition the court for an accounting and request disbursements/distributions under the will/admin.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


I agree with Attorney Zellinger. The attorney represents the estate. It's time for you to get your own attorney to move the probate forward, so that so can receive your inheritance and close the estate.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


I agree. There should be inventory and accounting records filed in the probate file. Based on the facts you set forth, those should show that the debts are paid or that all claims have now lapsed and are barred, so there ought not be any excuse for failing to distribute the assets in accordance with the law. Assuming this is all in fact the state of affairs, you can either file a demand on your own or hire an attorney to represent you. Hiring an attorney might very well light the fire and may not cost you the price of making a telephone call to this administrator because she will not be able to buffalo your attorney very long if there are no legitimate reasons for the delay.

It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Only after a thorough personal consultation could specific legal advice be given. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. To enter such a relationship you and I would need to consult in person and form a mutually agreeable written contract of engagement. The answer(s) provided in this forum is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer of your choosing who is appropriately competent in the field of law that your question concerns and who is duly licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where you live and/or where the events giving rise to your question occurred. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney. There are often strict deadlines for filing suit, responding to a suit or making an appeal and you need to personally consult with an attorney to make sure that you understand and meet those deadlines.


I would also go look at the annual accounting records to see what remains in the estate.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer