Skip to main content

How can an Egyptian national seek United States religious asylum while in South Korea?

San Antonio, TX |

M friend has been told by her church that she will be sent to a hospital upon return to Egypt to be examined for signs of prior sexual intercourse. If she isn't found to be a virgin, she could face a life-threatening response from her family. She currently lives in South Korea, but will have to return to Egypt in a years time. Is it possible for her to seek asylum without returning to Egypt beforehand? Can asylum be sought at a U.S. consulate within South Korea? She has very good English, and will have completed a Bachelor's degree in a technical field in South Korea. She is afraid to go back home. On a previous trip she was almost taken to the hospital, but there was not enough time before her scheduled return flight to South Korea.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You have to be physically present in the U.S. to apply for asylym. If you want asylum but are not present in the U.S., you need to apply for Refugee Status. To apply for refugee status, you must go to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate or, preferably, to an office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). There, you will be asked to prepare and submit USCIS Form I-590 and other documents, including a promise by a U.S. sponsor (oftentimes an organization) to support your resettlement efforts. Good luck to you.
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

  2. Consult with an immigration attorney wjho specializes in asylum. Asylum relief is very fact specific

  3. re-post. sorry.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics