How can a US citizen legally remove oneself as a sponsor for obtaining a green card for a non-US citizen?

Newport, KY |

Is it legal to no longer want to sponsor a non-US citizen for their green card? Can you withdraw this request? What will happen to US citizen and non-US citizen (who is not in the country legally)?

1. Have you filed the I485 or are about to file? You can always withdraw your intent unless you signed a contract to the contrary. If you have not yet filed but were thinking of doing so, withdrawing the intent would cause a problem for the applicant who would have to look for a co-sponsor. If in doubt, hire a lawyer.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. It depends on what you mean by "sponsor." If you mean "petition," then you would withdraw the petition. If you mean "Affidavit of Support," then unfortunately, it cannot be done.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. I agree with Atty Ferrari.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.