How can a US citizen legally remove oneself as a sponsor for obtaining a green card for a non-US citizen?

Asked over 2 years ago - Newport, KY

Is it legal to no longer want to sponsor a non-US citizen for their green card? Can you withdraw this request? What will happen to US citizen and non-US citizen (who is not in the country legally)?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

2

Answered . I agree with Atty Ferrari.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . It depends on what you mean by "sponsor." If you mean "petition," then you would withdraw the petition. If you mean "Affidavit of Support," then unfortunately, it cannot be done.

3. Elizabeth Clare Surin

Pro

Answered . Have you filed the I485 or are about to file? You can always withdraw your intent unless you signed a contract to the contrary. If you have not yet filed but were thinking of doing so, withdrawing the intent would cause a problem for the applicant who would have to look for a co-sponsor. If in doubt, hire a lawyer.