How can a suspect obtain a copy of an report from the police department?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elmwood Park, IL

Cook County, Illinois
The incident was an altercation. Suspect has contacted the police department and was told that he needs an attorney to subpoena the report or to file a FOIA. Is there another way to obtain this report?

1. Jeffrey Allen Fagan

1

Answered . No. You can ask for a report, but they are not required to provide one.
    Hire an attorney for your case and they will subpoena it. Or file a FOIA.

2. Melissa I. Smejkal

Answered . Easiest way is to have the attorney get it.

3. Kenneth J Kohler

1

Answered . If the case is "still under investigation" police have no legal obligation to provide you any documentation, including police investigation reports. If the case is closed, the reports would be public data that must be released (unless they are sealed by court order). I've seen cases held "under investigation" for years. Find out how police are designating the case. Police sometimes give reports to attorneys that they won't give to the general public.