How can a suspect obtain a copy of an report from the police department?

Asked about 1 year ago - Elmwood Park, IL

Cook County, Illinois
The incident was an altercation. Suspect has contacted the police department and was told that he needs an attorney to subpoena the report or to file a FOIA. Is there another way to obtain this report?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Allen Fagan

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. You can ask for a report, but they are not required to provide one.
    Hire an attorney for your case and they will subpoena it. Or file a FOIA.

  2. Melissa I. Smejkal

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Easiest way is to have the attorney get it.

  3. Kenneth J Kohler

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the case is "still under investigation" police have no legal obligation to provide you any documentation, including police investigation reports. If the case is closed, the reports would be public data that must be released (unless they are sealed by court order). I've seen cases held "under investigation" for years. Find out how police are designating the case. Police sometimes give reports to attorneys that they won't give to the general public.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now