How can a secretary at a law firm ethically withhold information of a client who is being charged with murder?

Asked over 1 year ago - Livonia, MI

and how the legal system could ethically permit murderers go free because of attorney-client privilege.?

1. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

2

Answered . It's actually not her privilege. It is the privilege of the client and the attorney she works for. She has no independent authority to release anything to anyone except as directed by the attorney.

2. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

2

Answered . A secretary cannot provide any information without being told to do so by an attorney in her firm. I am unclear on who the secretary is withholding information from, but I assume you mean the client of the firm. If it is the client, then the client needs to talk to his attorney, not the secretary. If it is a third party then there is attorney/client confidentiality which the firm, secretary, and attorney cannot violate.