How can a secretary at a law firm ethically withhold information of a client who is being charged with murder?

Livonia, MI |
Filed under: Professional ethics

and how the legal system could ethically permit murderers go free because of attorney-client privilege.?

It's actually not her privilege. It is the privilege of the client and the attorney she works for. She has no independent authority to release anything to anyone except as directed by the attorney.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

A secretary cannot provide any information without being told to do so by an attorney in her firm. I am unclear on who the secretary is withholding information from, but I assume you mean the client of the firm. If it is the client, then the client needs to talk to his attorney, not the secretary. If it is a third party then there is attorney/client confidentiality which the firm, secretary, and attorney cannot violate.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics