Skip to main content

How can a person who was arrested crossing the border with an expired conditional residence, fix the legal situation.

Dallas, TX |

This person was married on May, 2006 with a citizen who brought him as fiancé, but he left the country without legalizing his residence in 2009, he attempted to enter again through the border on April, 2013, but he was arrested, he stayed 1 month in a detention center, he was released by his citizen sister with a bond 1 month ago. He is serving a probation through 2015, also he has a felony for domestic violence. Is there any way to get the residence without use his marry because his ex-wife can't help him by the problems he had with her family and her children on the past years and also she wants the divorce. His ex-wife says divorce is better for both, and maybe is possible to him get legalized by his citizen sister. What other options he has to become legal in this country.

It's better to him, if he try to fix his marry because they still married and his ex-wife may file an I-130 for him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is doubtful that he can obtain some form of legal status in the US. Having a felony for domestic violence makes his options almost impossible. His sister can file an I-130 for him but then he will have wait about 12 years before he would be eligible for a green card. He should bring all of his documents to an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


This is WAY TOO COMPLICATED for an internet blog.

'This person' should pay for a private Skype consultation with a highly experienced attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I think that this question is too broad and complicated to answer in this forum. You should get all legal paperwork that you have on the case and visit a local immigration attorney here in Texas.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please contact at the Law Office of Daniel Corno, (832) 767-2922, 1535 South Richey, Pasadena, Texas 77502,


The first step to fixing this situation is to hire an immigration attorney.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer