How can a man have the court establish paternity in a 2 year child support case

Asked 11 months ago - Austin, MN

My cousin was ordered to pay child support of a child in 2011. He received a motion to go to court to address the child support. He requested a DNA test and he missed the appointment to take the test and the child support was ordered in by default because of his absence. 2 years later this child looks NOTHING like him and has serious questions about paternity. While he has paid child support he has had little to no contact with the child. I have advised him to revisit the paternity but he needs to know what steps if any he can take to address this issue. While I have suggested he get an attorney he cannot afford one. And his income is slightly higher that what is allowed for Legal Aid. What can he file pro se in order you address this issue?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christian Ryan Peterson

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He needs to actually go through with DNA testing first of all. If it shows he is not dad, then he needs to make a motion in court to vacate the paternity order. And he needs to do all of this soon, because at some point the court cares more about finality of the order than getting the right guy as dad.

  2. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes he can file pro se to file a motion to request the DNA test and to request he be declared not the legal father. As counsel stated, he will want to do this sooner rather than later.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  3. Michael J Corbin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I'd say the odds of him getting an order removing his support obligation are zero. He was apprised of the support demand from the county back in 2011, and he challenged the presumption of paternity, but he failed to appear for the DNA test. That was HIS error, and he did nothing to correct it for 2 years? If I were the judge, I'd say B.S. to that - the court's order making him the father was entered 2+ years ago, he failed to challenge it even though he wanted to and knew how to do it, and he has left it alone all this time - too bad. The fact that he has had no contact with the child is irrelevant - support and parenting time aren't linked like that. He'll need a good attorney to convince a judge (maybe) to reopen the paternity issue.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. more
  4. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . He could or, you could make him a small loan now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,646 answers this week

3,041 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,646 answers this week

3,041 attorneys answering