How can a lawyer be involved in a conflict of interest without supplying conflict of interest consent forms to the other lawyers

95501 |

We are in two lawsuits, one for us and one against us. The party on the other side is being represented by the same attorney. I thought this was not legal without signed consent forms from them. I have received any consent forms.

1. Your question is not clear. In general, a lawyer cannot represent client A in a lawsuit against B, and simultaneously represent B in another matter. To do so is a violations of the duty of loyalty to the clients.
    It isn't absolutely clear that this is your situation here, however.

If you mean that you are suing B, and C is suing you, and the same lawyer is representing B and C, then there is nothing improper.

You may wish to clarify your question a bit and try asking it again, if this has not cleared up the matter for you.

2. I agree with Mr. Parry. From what you are saying, the attorney on the other side of both lawsuits you are involved in is the same attorney. This is not a "conflict of interest". It is only a coincidence. A conflict of interest would be if the attorney representing YOU later represented the other side in a lawsuit or matter involving many of the same parties or issues where he gained confidential and privileged information from you as your attorney that he might possibly now use against you.

In your situation, if this attorney on the other side never represented you, he doesn't need your consent or anyone elses to oppose you. This is actually a common situation in small towns where there are only a few trial attorneys engaged in litigation in civil, criminal or family courts. Nice try, but you can't disqualify him from representing your opponents.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. I agree with my colleagues that your question is not clear and with their answers. I only write to point out that "other lawyers" would never receive "conflict of interest consent forms." Consent forms would only be signed between the conflicted lawyer and his present and/or former client who has agreed to waive the conflict.

The mere fact that the opposing party has the same lawyer defending and prosecuting a lawsuit that you are involved in would not seem to implicate a conflict of interest. In fact, it is the usual case where a complaint and cross-complaint have been filed in the same lawsuit. Even if there were a conflict you, as the opposing party, would never receive a copy of the waiver which is protected by the attorney-client privilege.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

4. The only time you will ever be presented with a conflict of interest waiver is if YOUR attorney has a potential conflict. If the opposing attorney is engaged in an actual or potential conflict of interest, that is his clients' problem.

As to whether the opposing attorney is engaging in a conflict of interest situation, the only thing I can come up with would be if the opposing attorney is representing two different clients against you seeking recovery of money, where it is likely that there will be an insufficient limited pool of money from which to recover for each of the client's cases, making it possible that he will be acting contrary to the interests of one of his clients if he moves to edge out the other for the limited pool of money. However, that is not a conflict that you have any say over. He may, however, have some explaining to do (to his client) if he acts in a way that benefits one of this clients to the detriment of the other.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.