Skip to main content

How can a landowner of two adjacent residential plots change the property line between the plots without using a lawyer?

Norfolk, VA |

I own two houses that are on adjacent parcels. I want to sell one house (House A), but before I do so, I want to change the property line to provide more land to House A. It seems like I should be able to do this inexpensively and without a lawyer, and I am trying to figure out the steps that I need to take. Do I have to change the property line before selling House A, or can I change the property line in the deed when I sell House A? I would greatly appreciate your help in knowing the proper steps.

Attorney Answers 3


The property owner cannot really proceed without a skilled lawyer. Hearings for zoning, land action, transactions and registrations are four different steps that require skilled legal counsel

These are too complex to get step by step instructions on an online forum.

Hire a lawyer.
You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Boundary line adjustments are common but you will need a surveyor to prepare a boundary line adjustment plat that you will ultimately use to convey the property. Talk to the surveyor who prepared plats for you when the parcels were purchased or I can recommend a surveyor who will be familiar with the city/county restrictions governing the relocation of property lines. For example, the residences must meet minimum sideline restrictions.

Mark as helpful


I agree with the previous responses. Although it may intuitively seem that you can adjust the boundary between two properties that you own without much trouble, in actuality, the size and distances between buildings and property lines are heavily regulated by local governments. For example, depending on how your city is zoned, you may have to have a minimum lot size of 10,000 sq. ft., or you may have a minimum lot size of 2.5 acres. You will also need to pay attention to the distances between any structures on the property and the side, front and rear property lines.

In Minnesota, these requirements are enforced at the city or county level, and lot splits must be approved before they are recorded. While a good surveyor and a helpful city clerk/zoning administrator or planner may be able to help you through the process, most applications have an attorney involved at some level.

I would recommend that you contact an attorney who practices in real estate and land use issues. The attorney will be able to assist in preparing the necessary deeds, and in helping you through the application process.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Cameron Kelly Law

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics