How can a international student with F1 visa work on academic research work?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hammond, LA

I am an international student with F1 visa. I was recently accepted for a summer research opportunity REU for coming summer. The work is strictly academic how ever it is not a mandatory to earn a degree I am perusing. I know that there are some ways I can work in such works. My question what are the legal document requirement as abide by US Law. Can I use this research as my CPT? I was suggested to apply for OPT . However, If I do so I will loose the equivalent duration of OPT that I can get after graduation.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You may be permitted to use either CPT or OPT. Talk with your DSO.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to speak with you DSO.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,218 answers this week

2,926 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary