How can a international student with F1 visa work on academic research work?

Hammond, LA |

I am an international student with F1 visa. I was recently accepted for a summer research opportunity REU for coming summer. The work is strictly academic how ever it is not a mandatory to earn a degree I am perusing. I know that there are some ways I can work in such works. My question what are the legal document requirement as abide by US Law. Can I use this research as my CPT? I was suggested to apply for OPT . However, If I do so I will loose the equivalent duration of OPT that I can get after graduation.

You need to speak with you DSO.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You may be permitted to use either CPT or OPT. Talk with your DSO.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I recently graduated so I cannot use my CPT. I spoke to my DSO. All I was told was I can do nothing until 3 month has passed after my application. Its only been 2 month now. Will I loose my job then?

please disregard my comment above. I typed on wrong section