Skip to main content

How can a inmate have a cash bond of $100,000 for possession of controlled substance but havent had any type of hearing.

Sardis, MS |

Picked up for possession of control substance been locked up since may 1, 2013

Attorney Answers 4

  1. A judge must have issued a warrant with that bond. He has to have had a hearing, however.

  2. This is fact dependent there needs to be more info..

    The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.

  3. Sounds like you need to hire a lawyer to look into this matter. Either A) MDOC has a hold, but he should have been to a violation hearing and transported by now or B) they haven't reduced his bond for some reason and he's just sitting there awaiting indictment. You need to hire an attorney to investigate and find out for you. At least that way you can know what's going on. Otherwise, he'll sit there until he is indicted and then will be appointed a public defender.

    The state of Mississippi does not certify lawyers in any specific category of law and the decision to hire an attorney should be taken only after careful consideration. My profile and any answers to questions given are strictly for the purpose of advertising my services. Nothing said should be inferred to create a lawyer/client relationship or be considered specific legal advice on your situation. Feel free to call me at 662-563-9625.

  4. There is likely some reason aside from this single offense that is making the bond that high. However, in MS, a criminal defendant is entitled to at least two hearings fairly quickly after being arrested. Each of the hearings could be used to request a bond reduction. It is vitally important that this person get a good criminal defense lawyer. That is his or her best chance for getting out on bond and reaching a favorable outcome to these charges.

    I am in no way giving you legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise imply that I have intended to form such a relationship. You should sit down and discuss your case in detail with a trained and licensed attorney in order to determine your best course of action.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics