How can a foreigner son claim assets of deceased foreigner Newyork resident ?

What's the process you have to go trough to be name Heir A?

New York, NY -

Attorney Answers (1)

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Probate Attorney - White Plains, NY

Somebody needs to probate the Will. If there is no Will, an application must be made for letters of administration. Nonresident aliens are not eligible to receive letters of administration. It may be necessary for a resident relative to apply for letters, or if there is no relative eligible, possibly a trusted friend or the consul for the country of citizenship. Last in line, it is possible for the Public Administrator to apply for letters. This is not a do it yourself project. You need a lawyer.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to... more
Mark as helpful
Sponsored Listing

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Ask a Lawyer

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.

Find a Lawyer