How can a debt collector go back on a deal made by a judge?

Asked about 5 years ago - Warren, MI

In 11/07, I went to court and received a judgement against me for an old credit card. The agreement, signed by the judge, was that I would make a minimum payment of $25/month and the interest would be waived as long as my payments were made on time. It would come under review after 6 months. I have been paying @ least $50, usually $80/month. After 6 months, the creditor called and asked for more money. I told them I would try to pay more but couldn't commit to what they were asking. Now they claim that because I didn't give them the amount of money they wanted at the "review" that they started tacking on interest again. How can they go back on this deal without going back to court?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. William A. Siebert


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Go back to the court that issued the judgment file a "Motion to Enforce Terms of Judgment," and start makinng the payments directly to the Court Clerk's office.. Yiu may want to comesult a collections attorney; the credit card company might be forced to pay his fee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,515 answers this week

2,766 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,515 answers this week

2,766 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary