How can a 17 year old can get married

Grand Junction, CO |

-without parent consent
-or with one parents consent that has joint custody

My cousin wanted to know and asked me for help and so I asked it on here.

1. How old is the other person? Why can you not get the other parent's consent? How long until you turn 18? You would be best off with sitting down with both parents and possibly a counselor along with your future spouse to talk this out.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. I don't think it will happen without both parents consent unless perhaps you hire an attorney to try to convince the court that you should be emanicapted from your parents and considered an adult capable of self support.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

3. You just need one parent to consent.

If they do, you can marry at the age of 17. Please think very carefully about that decision. I promise your parent(s) will. Once you hit 18, all best are off and you can do as you choose.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.